google analytics
Need a nanny

Parents,looking for a nanny or sitter

Nannies & Babysitter

Nannies & Sitters join for free

Police Check

To work with children, you will need a Police Check or "Working with Children Check" in most States by law. Most parents will also ask for it and we strongly recommend you have an up-to-date one available. For information on how to get one, see the details below :

Babysitters and Nannies can obtain a Federal or State Police Check from their local police station or you can visit the website below for more information : 

A national service you can use to obtain a police check for any state is

The 'National Police Record Check' application form is available from the Victoria Police Website at
Fill in the form, mail it with a cheque (see site for specific amount, approx $32) to the Victorian Police, then wait 10 working days for them to send the certificate back to you. In Section A select "National Name Check". In Section E select the "Contact with children" box in "Option 1". For additional information, see the Victoria Police Website.
Victoria also has a Working with Children Check - this is only needed for sitters working for a commercial agency. However, it is recommended that you apply for a WWCC as it will let parents know you're a sitter they can trust, improving your chances of employment. See for more information.

New South Wales
You can obtain a Police Check application from your local police station or the NSW police site. 'Standard Disclosure' is recommended. Purpose of the check is a 'Name and date of birth check'. You must bring the completed form and 3 forms of ID to your local police station and pay the fee (approx. $52). See the NSW Police Web Site for more information.
The Working With Children Check is for carers in child-related work, employed by a commercial agency (so you don't need it for work found on We Need a Nanny since you are working for parents independently, but to improve your chances of employment, it is recommended that you obtain a Certificate for Self Employed People Working With Children). See to find out more.

Apply at any police station in Queensland for a Criminal History Record Check (Qld only) or for a Police Certificate (Australia-wide) check. The Checks will cost approx. $40. If you already have a "Working With Children Check - Blue Card" this is also suitable. Read more information about the checks at the Queensland Police site: For more information about a Blue Card, see

Western Australia
From Jan 2006, Western Australia now requires a Working with Children Check. This applies to any carers with a formal agreement like paid sitters working regularly. The form can be obtained from Australia Post Offices and costs approx. $50 to submit. See for more information.

To do nanny and babysitting work in the ACT you need to register under the Working With Vulnerable People ACT. For more information and how to register please go to

<< Return to Caregiver Resources

View All Testimonials

Copyright © Pty Ltd. Australian Company Number (ACN) 122 326 283. All Rights Reserved.