Interview Tips for Nannies
1. Make sure you have all references and a police check ready to show parents.
2. Dress appropriately for the interview, generally smart casual is acceptable.
3. Allow plenty of time so that you are not late or rushing to the interview.
4. Be honest and be yourself.
5. Try and prepare for some of the questions parents might ask ( see below ).
6. Smile !
Questions parents may ask you :
1. What hobbies do you have and what do you like to do in your spare time ?
2. What do you enjoy most about working with children ?
3. What do you find the most challenging part of working with children ?
4. How were you disciplined as a child ? What would you do differently with your children ?
5. What was your last childcare experience and how did it end ?
6. How would you describe yourself and your personality ?
7. Do you have any formal childcare training ?
8. Do you have emergency training ? First Aid and/or CPR ?
9. What would you do if our child was sick or injured ?
10. Can†I check your references and do you have a Police check ?
11. Why are you a nanny ?
12. Why are you looking for a new position ?
13. What hours and days†are you available ?
14. Do you have a car ?
15. Do you smoke ?
Questions you may want to ask the parents :
1. Is there any other duties apart from childcare that I will be required to do ( housekeeping etc. ) ?
2. What age is the child ?
3. Any special allergies† or special needs I should know about ?
4. What is the rate of pay ?
5. What hours / days will I be required to work ?
<< Return to Caregiver Resources
- We have found a nanny and all is going well.The site has been most helpful.Thank you.Anne - ( North Perth ) - WA. April 2014We have found a nanny and are very happy. Thanks again.Abby - ( Parkside ) - South Australia. July 2014Have had a good response with some excellent applications. About to offer the role so suspending the advert. Very pleased with the site and outcome.Luisa - ( Paddington ) - NSW. Nov 2014We found the perfect person for our son in only a week with weneedananny. I thought the process would take a month but a month later we've already done a gradual handover and our care needs are sorted. Couldn't be happier.Charlotte - ( Brisbane ) - Queensland. May 2016Just to let you know that in less than 3 weeks, I have been accepted for my first Nanny job that fits around my Primary School teaching. I'm looking forward to starting soon with this lovely family. Thanks for a great service.Janet - ( Greensborough ) - Victoria. Oct 2014I found your site a very useful database and very informative for contacting suitable nannies in my local area.Peter - ( Highbury ) - South Australia. Feb 2016